A Brief History Springboig/Barlanark
Springboig took its name from a farm which stood in what is now Springboig Avenue. Until 1912 Budhill and Springboig were considered part of Shettleston, but this altered to some extent when Shettleston was absorbed by Glasgow and Budhill and Springboig remained in Lanarkshire, the two communities having services such as roads, housing, cleansing and education provided by two different local authorities.
Meanwhile, the history of Barlanark has been well documented in the Provan Hall Heritage Trail research. The Trail research found that before 1322, Barlanark had been elevated to the status of a Preben. This is confirmed by records of Robert the Bruce dating from that year, granting John Wyschard, “Canon of the Prebend of Barlanark”, rights to hold Barlanark and forbidding anyone from hunting, hawking or fishing there without license from John or his successors.
In the late 1940s, Springboig saw a surge in housing developments to alleviate the post war housing shortage. This was followed by similar developments in Barlanark in the early 1950s.
The area remains densely populated by residential properties, including a large number of residential flats and traditional terraced houses. Significant housing regeneration has taken place in the area over the past decade. This is set to continue, with new plans for social housing developments in Barlanarak announced by GHA in late September 2016.
A key historical landmark in the Thriving Place is Sandymount Cemetery. It was opened in 1878, with the first interment taking place on 22nd July 1878.
The land was originally owned by six Glasgow business men who had each purchased identical plots of 4 ½ acres each.
There are approximately 5,950 monuments within the cemetery grounds, of which some 1,250 are Jewish and 350 are Muslim. The Jewish section of the cemetery is largely self contained. It features exquisite headstones and three rusticated branchless tree monuments.
A principle feature of Sandymount is The Cross of Sacrifice, designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.